Discover Mafate for an authentic and enchanting experience. The heart of a collapsed volcano, Mafate’s cirque is a geological setting designed by the steep walls which a bird’s eye view from several surrounding ridges (Maïdo, Roche Ecrite, Cap Noir…) suggests is inaccessible.
Only walking allows access along the small mountain trails, or by helicopter. Its wild nature made it a worthy refuge for runaway slaves. Today, despite their physical isolation, the inhabitants are more than ever committed to this tormented land, living on plateaux or in the hollow of a secret valley, delightfully known as islets decorated with their coloured shacks. In total, 180 Mafatais welcome hikers who stop off here. The largest village, called “La Nouvelle”, has just one school, electricity is provided by the sun, and a bakery and grocery stores are supplied mainly by helicopter. These are the wonders of this hidden paradise which has become part of the inhabited heart of the National Park, a World Heritage site. Nature is queen here, bursting out at every turn of a marked trail, the mountains are everywhere, the pitons form unimaginable shapes, the ravines, waterfalls and forests are a feast for the eyes.
Mountain biking is certainly one of the most exciting and intense ways to discover the incredible island of Reunion. Mountain biking here is generally not for the faint-of-heart, as trails are often steep and volcanic terrain rough and sometimes unpredictable.
There are, however, a number of trails that are appropriate for novice or intermediate riders. Le Maido is the island’s most renowned spot for downhill biking, and during peak tourist season, the area is teeming with mountain bikers from far and wide. La Maido boasts more than 100 kilometers of marked trails, some quite difficult and others manageable for those with a minimal amount of experience. Short tracks take as little as 40 minutes to descend while other rides may last up to 2 hours.
Flights depart on Sundays and Tuesdays
UU 342 Q JNBRUN DK1 1410 2000
UU 341 Q RUNJNB DK1 1040 1255
• Return flights on Air Austral from JHB to Reunion in Economy Class
• Airport Taxes
• Meet & Greet
• Hiking tour in Mafate, starting from Salazie, ending in Cilaos , 3 days / 2 nights
• Biking in Cilaos ( without guide ), and biking in St-Gilles ( Guided biking « The great descent » from Le Maïdo )
• 1 night Juliette Dodu, shower room BB
• 1 night Mountain Hut at La Nouvelle ( double room with private facilities ) HB
• 1 night Mountain Hut at Marla ( double room with private facilities ) HB
• 2 nights Le Vieux cep, Superior room BB
• 7 nights in St-Gilles Option 1 : le Nautile, Beach front room BB
• 7 nights in St-Gilles Option 2 : Tropic Apart, Studio Premium Garden side, room only
• Transfers: Airport / J. Dodu, J. Dodu / Le Bélier in Salazie , Vieux Cep / St-Gilles ( Nautile or Tropic) , St-Gilles / Airport
• Luggage transfer Juliette Dodu / Vieux Cep
ZAR35 200 PER PERSON SHARING
ZAR29 650 PER PERSON SHARING
Rates are valid for travel from February to September. They are subject to availability, currency and airport tax fluctuations. If you have children travelling with you please advise their ages so we may quote accordingly. For rates from October to January – please enquire with us.
- Any items of a personal Nature
- Travel Insurance of ZAR1 865 per couple
- Meals not mentioned / included
- Nightly Tourist tax which is payable directly at each hotel – approx EUR 0.80 pp/pn
- Optional Excursions
- Tips, Drinks, Taxi fares etc.